- Emoticons can liven up things. They allow variety in a message.
- A picture’s worth a thousand words, they say.
- Fun and flirty.
- Easy way to describe actions. 😉 vs *wink*
- Easy to use. You can type out a message in a few seconds. This means that there’s less downtime between messages. This is good to keep the momentum up.
- Universally understood symbols. You don’t have to be a genius to know what 8===D is supposed to represent. (It’s a dick.)
- You don’t have to be paying attention to it. Hit a few keys and go back to what you were doing if you aren’t in the mood. It makes it easier to humor your partner than ever.
- Can look cartoonish and childish.
- Break the flow of prose sexting. (IE, that part that goes, “I go down on you, taking you all the way to the back of my throat”, AKA “the good parts that aren’t pictures.”)
- Not all phones have the same emoticon visuals. What’s sexy in one might not look sexy in another one.
- Lacks substance. It’s just a few lines; you really have to use your imagination to make it sexy.
- You can’t tell if she’s really in the mood, or just humoring you and going along with it. The sexiness comes not from the literal things she says (or emoticons she sends you), but from the idea that she’s really red hot and ready to go.
Other Factors to Consider:
- How old are you? If you’re under thirty, it’s going to be much more common to use emoticons in all sorts of written communication. Sexting is only the tip of the iceberg. If the woman you’re sexting is in her twenties, it would be more shocking is she didn’t use emoticons.
- What sort of phones are you both using? Smartphones come equipped with many emoticons that could easily be adapted for sexting. Older phones don’t have these premade emoticons. You’d have to make your own, and that takes time and effort and is, over all, less likely to happen.
As you can see, the list of pros and cons is varied and has a lot of options. In the end, it’s slightly more towards the negative. A description by you is always going to be sexier than a little yellow smiley face rolling its eyes up. But there are good things about using them as well, so the best trick in the book would be to copy your partner’s style. If she likes to punctuate every sentence with an emoticon, follow her example.